The Protectors Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to discuss about The Protectors mod for Warlords Battlecry 3. Visit http://the-protectors.webs.com for more info.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

A new 0.87 game panel is ... not good

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Afijak
Lord
Lord
Afijak

A new 0.87 game panel is ... not good Empty
PostSubject: A new 0.87 game panel is ... not good   A new 0.87 game panel is ... not good I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 24, 2016 7:42 am

Tried 0.87. Resolution scaling (use 1600x900) is very good... But what I found - a new game panel is... ugly. It is not finished or what... It occupies almost a third part of a screen... The unit info text (which was taken from the top of the screen) is flickering...
So, could it be reverted the previous 0.8.6 panel back?
Back to top Go down
Patrick_the_Winekiller
Devourer of bugs
Devourer of bugs
Patrick_the_Winekiller

PostSubject: Re: A new 0.87 game panel is ... not good   A new 0.87 game panel is ... not good I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 24, 2016 8:16 am

Can you provide a screenshot of the panel in question?
Back to top Go down
http://the-protectors.webs.com
Afijak
Lord
Lord
Afijak

PostSubject: Re: A new 0.87 game panel is ... not good   A new 0.87 game panel is ... not good I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 24, 2016 9:10 am

of course, I can:

https://imgur.com/a/FyqmX

With a high respect to the work made by team for the game, please rework the panels or make an option to return the previous designs...
Back to top Go down
cordeirooo
Prince
Prince
cordeirooo

PostSubject: Re: A new 0.87 game panel is ... not good   A new 0.87 game panel is ... not good I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 24, 2016 9:40 am

Agreed.

At first I thought there was something wrong with my game, and I restarted it.

It looks like Tron too much for a fantasy game, in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
Patrick_the_Winekiller
Devourer of bugs
Devourer of bugs
Patrick_the_Winekiller

PostSubject: Re: A new 0.87 game panel is ... not good   A new 0.87 game panel is ... not good I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 24, 2016 7:36 pm

Very well, we will have a patch release soon which allows changing between the old and new panels.
Back to top Go down
Joe the Bartender
Keeper of Balance
Keeper of Balance
Joe the Bartender

PostSubject: Re: A new 0.87 game panel is ... not good   A new 0.87 game panel is ... not good I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 25, 2016 1:52 am

Atm, these chunky interfaces are unfinished. We couldn't figure out how to shift certain elements around, and couldn't manage to create translucency in them. Some of the panels can be seen as particularly tacky, such as the Swarm one shown.

However, I don't 100% agree with everything said. I think the implementation of certain elements could be better, but they are good and very helpful elements to have for anyone. I particularly disagree with the help text movement being a bad idea. It centralises information, making it much easier to check. The flickering problem sounds like a bug, but its position is probably not going to move back in future patches. There's a reason why almost every RTS game ever made has their help text centralised with all the other information down below. It just needs fixing to 'pop up' is all (be translucent like it was and appear only when something is hovered over, rather than be a large black box), then the chunkiness can finally go.
Back to top Go down
http://etheria.wikia.com/wiki/User_talk:Joe_the_Bartender
Afijak
Lord
Lord
Afijak

PostSubject: Re: A new 0.87 game panel is ... not good   A new 0.87 game panel is ... not good I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 25, 2016 6:38 am

Thanks for rapid reply,
Definitely you're free to implement new features you think are better to be, but let me critisize a bit, Smile
- the fact that a new panel is huge for screens like 1600x900 not mentioning 1024x768 - you agree, don't you?
- its clear for shure that a new panel is not permanent decision, but you agree that for now its far from good and to play having such bad panels is a catastropha, thats why I ask sincerely to leave an option of reverting previous ergonomical panels (which were if not perfect but definitely very good when I first discovered them in your mod),
- Im very happy to know and hopefully wait when help text field as well as all the concept of new panels will be finished perfectly ("It just needs fixing to 'pop up' is all (be translucent like it was and appear only when something is hovered over, rather than be a large black box")).

Once more thank you for you mod, because its the only mod that fixes almost all the pity bugs of this beautiful game.
Bytheway, will there be a chance to make a kind of 'bugfixing only' patch for original game for those who wants playing the vanilla game?
Back to top Go down
Patrick_the_Winekiller
Devourer of bugs
Devourer of bugs
Patrick_the_Winekiller

PostSubject: Re: A new 0.87 game panel is ... not good   A new 0.87 game panel is ... not good I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 25, 2016 7:12 am

Whenever i see contrary discussions, i just leave an option to be manipulated by the end-user. If you want the old panels, you just edit the options. If not, you don't. This is the beauty of continuous development - anything can be changed, adjusted by fans preferences. (Then there's usually some arguing of which of the two options to be the default one! lol).

I doubt I personally will be working on anything else but The Protectors, but that's not to say some other programmer who has access to the code won't do a patch for the vanilla, just with the bug fixes.
Back to top Go down
Joe the Bartender
Keeper of Balance
Keeper of Balance
Joe the Bartender

PostSubject: Re: A new 0.87 game panel is ... not good   A new 0.87 game panel is ... not good I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 25, 2016 10:00 am

Afijak wrote:

- the fact that a new panel is huge for screens like 1600x900 not mentioning 1024x768 - you agree, don't you?
Of course. The current panel is only temporary and will be addressed in future releases.

Afijak wrote:

- its clear for shure that a new panel is not permanent decision, but you agree that for now its far from good and to play having such bad panels is a catastropha, thats why I ask sincerely to leave an option of reverting previous ergonomical panels (which were if not perfect but definitely very good when I first discovered them in your mod),
I agree it is troublesome on smaller resolutions (especially laptop resolutions), but I don't think it's a catastrophe.

I think the option to revert to the old panels could be useful for this version (will likely become redundant in future ones when the panel gets fixed for every user but for now it'll offer a quick fix).
Back to top Go down
http://etheria.wikia.com/wiki/User_talk:Joe_the_Bartender
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A new 0.87 game panel is ... not good   A new 0.87 game panel is ... not good I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A new 0.87 game panel is ... not good
Page 1 of 1