The Protectors Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to discuss about The Protectors mod for Warlords Battlecry 3. Visit http://the-protectors.webs.com for more info.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Presentations and emblems

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Amethystus
Squire
Squire
Amethystus

Presentations and emblems Empty
PostSubject: Presentations and emblems   Presentations and emblems I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 20, 2022 11:58 pm

Hello everyone!
I am an old Italian WBC3 player since 2004 (and since the game existed in Italian), and since I found the game on Steam for 2-3 years (or 4?) I have only downloaded and tried The Protector and, in those few times that I have been playing (after months of assiduously making the campaign in Vanilla), I am already adoring him. I'm settling in with the new mechanics, interesting the Faction system that helps to understand the Lore and favor the role-playing game, as well as diversify the already many races of the game. I'm even running a campaign in D&D 3.5 fetching all the Lore from both files and wikis.

I wanted to sign up for two reasons, one is because I wanted to eventually share opinions or ask for information (if necessary) about the mod, the other is due to a moment of ... boredom xD.
Basically, while I was checking the factions (to recreate all my Heroes from Vanilla), I was looking at the emblems and ... as a good self-taught scholar of heraldry, I wanted to recreate the coats of arms more clearly (and not an icon). I started two hours ago (then I was busy) and I managed to make 6 of them between Knights and Dwarves, using Armoria, an Azgaar website-app (which provides tools for RPGs).
I wanted to share these creations from time to time and maybe ask for advice and opinions to make them (also because some elements are to be created Ad Hoc in vector), since some symbols, for me, at first glance I can interpret them differently (circles? Gears? flowers?).
I would probably add his blazon to each coat of arms (unfortunately I can only provide it in Italian, I don't know the heraldic regulation of blazon in English - which is more French -).
This is not a commitment, it is just a sharing of one passion combined with another (and perhaps transmitting suggestions).

PS: My English is not the best, I don't like its use, so I help myself with the translator ... which I obviously revise.
PS 2: Shall we call the dwarves to defeat Lord Antharg and Covid-19?
P.S.3 .: If I have made a mistake in any regulation that I have skipped or similar, I apologize in advance.

jalonsdale likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://kanka.io/it/campaign/103142
Patrick_the_Winekiller
Devourer of bugs
Devourer of bugs
Patrick_the_Winekiller

PostSubject: Re: Presentations and emblems   Presentations and emblems I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 22, 2022 8:36 pm

All existing emblems are from older games of the franchise and are enrooted deeply into lore. Still, I am curious of what your work looks like.
Back to top Go down
http://the-protectors.webs.com
Amethystus
Squire
Squire
Amethystus

PostSubject: Re: Presentations and emblems   Presentations and emblems I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 24, 2022 12:06 pm

Obviously my aim is not to replace them, let alone revisit them, but to make them as in HD, trying to be as faithful as possible (working on that artistic freedom that heraldry allows when reproducing a coat of arms).
I will blazon in Italian, as I said I don't know how to do it in English; if I can I will do it (so much more for culture and completeness of work).
So far, or when I broke off for commitments I have been able to do these:

Crownsmen of Bartonia
Presentations and emblems Crownsmen-of-Bartonia
One of the simplest to reproduce, it is identical
Blazon:

Crusaders of Mirea
Presentations and emblems Crusaders-of-Mirea
Same thing, the cross could have been made a little wider, but in general it respects the original emblem. Too bad that Armoria did not allow it, but I would have made "4 pieces, of which 3 visible" as seen in the emblem, but I had to accept "5 pieces, of which 4 visible". The cross potent seemed to me to be the most similar, an alternative was a version of the patent cross with longer arms curved only towards the ends.
Blazon:

Holy City of Duernoth
Basically very simple, the sun (it's a sun, right?) Was rather stylized, so I took the charge in Armoria that most could recall it, playing with a charge in the shape of a circle (in heraldry, a "bisante", in as in silver) to give the empty effect in the center. Again for style, the emblem had a reflection effect, so I couldn't tell if it was yellow (gold) or orange (tanné): the problem is that in heraldry there is a rule on colors, "Rule of tincture" which indicates that a color cannot be "on" a color, the same thing a metal (metals are yellow (gold) and white (silver), all the others are colors). So the first version would respect the rule (Tanné is a color), while the second, golden sun on a silver background, I kept it because it reminded me of the coat of arms of the Kingdom of Jerusalem, which historically has the same violation ... and it's a holy city, ergo ... U.U
Presentations and emblems Holy-City-of-Duernoth-1
Blazon:

Presentations and emblems Holy-City-of-Duernoth-2
Blazon:

Khaz Agar
Presentations and emblems Khaz-Agar
This is also very simple and identical, also because there was a reference in the faction illustration in the hero creation screen.
Blazon:

Longbowmen of Elenia
Presentations and emblems Longbowmen-of-elenia
Easy, I just had a hard time finding heraldic attributes in English
Blazon:

The Guardian Order
Presentations and emblems The-Guardian-Order
There is very little, indeed, nothing to say.
Blazon:

The League of Gildine Merchants
Presentations and emblems The-League-of-Gildine-Merchants
From the emblem I have not been able to decipher the circles, whether they are flowers, wheels, "circles with a hillock decoration around" (in Arladic there is one thing that can define it that way), or something else.
For now I have interpreted them as wheels, even if in the image they show the spokes here while in the emblem it is only pure drawing style (in heraldry the personal style of drawing is irrelevant, always if we are talking about Wheels). Otherwise I will modify.
Blazon:

I will have to redo the coat of arms of Syria in another way because its design has a peculiarity that Armoria is unable to perform (I will try through Gimp), so as not to satisfy the emblem (which is a simple blue Latin cross on the field silver) but the banner seen in his faction illustration. I think that for a "HD" emblem it is correct to respect the illustration, right ?.
For Theira I will be waiting for an image of a suitable punch.
For Khamar, being a hammer, I had the charge of a mallet available, but as an image it was excellent for Drak-Dum, I didn't want to reuse the same image for aesthetic taste.
Drak-Dum, apart from the mallet (it's a mallet, right?) I can't decipher the five "ray" decorations at the top; a help?
For the others I will do them gradually, when I have time and mind

Patrick_the_Winekiller and Joe the Bartender like this post

Back to top Go down
Joe the Bartender
Keeper of Balance
Keeper of Balance
Joe the Bartender

PostSubject: Re: Presentations and emblems   Presentations and emblems I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 24, 2022 11:59 pm

They look good, I like them! I wouldn't mind a replacement myself, if the game's engine could scale images and if the shields were shaded like the small icons.

Drak Dum has a number of deeper orange rays which protrude from the top of the mallet. If it helps, I've uploaded all of TPC's faction icons, including content from Warlords 3 and Puzzle Kingdoms here. Maybe you'll find some useful info & materials in there? I hope it helps anyway! Smile
Back to top Go down
http://etheria.wikia.com/wiki/User_talk:Joe_the_Bartender
Amethystus
Squire
Squire
Amethystus

PostSubject: Re: Presentations and emblems   Presentations and emblems I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2022 12:47 am

Joe the Bartender wrote:
They look good, I like them! I wouldn't mind a replacement myself, if the game's engine could scale images and if the shields were shaded like the small icons.

Drak Dum has a number of deeper orange rays which protrude from the top of the mallet. If it helps, I've uploaded all of TPC's faction icons, including content from Warlords 3 and Puzzle Kingdoms here. Maybe you'll find some useful info & materials in there? I hope it helps anyway! Smile

As for brightness / shading there are 5 options (4 if we exclude the absence of the same), I had left the setting that I have always used (more for randomness and indifference than for direct choice), so to have a similar shade (i.e. with central-lateral lighting and shading on one side) it is possible, in the eventuality, to reload, obviously when I have time to continue the work  study .
anyway thanks for the answer on Drak Dum and for the file  Smile , so I can eventually zoom in and analyze counterparts. I keep getting puzzled about Gildor, they look like simple circles with a mound pattern scratch
Back to top Go down
Joe the Bartender
Keeper of Balance
Keeper of Balance
Joe the Bartender

PostSubject: Re: Presentations and emblems   Presentations and emblems I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 26, 2022 10:51 pm

I wouldn't worry about the shading, it's easy for me to do that in photoshop. Gildor is meant to be 5 red rondels (or at least that's what they're called in the game files). I think I enjoy the wheels more given that they're a nation that's focussed more on trading than most.
Back to top Go down
Amethystus
Squire
Squire
Amethystus

PostSubject: Re: Presentations and emblems   Presentations and emblems I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 27, 2022 5:09 am

I have 3 questions:
1) Apart from the alternative versions that appear in that file that Joe sent me, is it "wrong" if I make "corrective changes" in my creations, that is to respect heraldic rules? To be clear, I have noticed that several have the figures facing one way, which in heraldry often means "who gives his back" (in fact it is said "turned"), a synonym for cowardice. Alternatively I leave it as it is, it is more a peculiarity, not an error. For some there would be the error of the colors already mentioned, but for a long time I let it pass because I find some justifications, for example in the emblems of the orcs and minotaurs ... that is, they are tribal, or as I say giving a little of Italian dialect «so' barbari»(" they are barbarians ") xD

2) For the Thalassian Empire, in the game version it is only scaccato, while in the file I found a version with a dromedary ... which of the two do I reproduce?

3) For Mortuus and Al-Diraq I would like to use the same graphics that appear in the illustrations; where can i find higher resolution images that i can use as a layer?
Back to top Go down
Joe the Bartender
Keeper of Balance
Keeper of Balance
Joe the Bartender

PostSubject: Re: Presentations and emblems   Presentations and emblems I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2022 11:44 pm

Making adjustments and corrections should be fine, at least for the Knight, Empire and maybe some of the elven and dwarven races. Minotaurs, Orcs, Daemons and others won't adhere to this due to extreme cultural differences, so for those it's probably not worth addressing.

It was originally intended for Thalassia to have the camel one, but we decided against it since it didn't look right and since it didn't fit the lore well enough.

Some of the original images are from the Warlords card game. However, we don't have access to some of the original source art and some of them are drawn at an angle. I've uploaded the files here. If there's any other files you need, let me know and I'll see if I can find them. Smile
Back to top Go down
Amethystus
Squire
Squire
Amethystus

PostSubject: Re: Presentations and emblems   Presentations and emblems I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2022 2:48 pm

I took advantage of hours of pause and "nothingness" while also organizing my themed D&D campaign (I translated almost all the faction texts and lore of the directory files) and I wanted to continue the work with the coats of arms. I wanted to continue with the simple crests, those achievable with Armoria simply with its functions without going to editing (I was trying to make the Syrian cross on Gimp, but after a mistake I stopped ... it will come, I swear).
For speed I will limit myself to putting the blazon in Italian, given the time and the exams I didn't feel like looking for the blazon in English, but I promise that I will try to fix it in the future.
The order in which they are entered are simply alphabetical and based on how they are uploaded to Postimg.

Dragonslayers of the Northern Reaches
Presentations and emblems Dragonslayers-of-the-Northern-Reaches
Very simple, even if to the eye the figure in the emblem seems to have no hind (or front?) Legs, so it looked like a wyvern to me ... but with the name (dragonslayer) it wouldn't have made sense. If the magigorance thinks it's a wyvern, I change it. From the heraldic point of view, nothing would change anyway XD
Blazon:

Ehlariel, Citadel of Ice
Presentations and emblems Ehlariel-Citadel-of-Ice
Identical to the original.
Blazon:

Hadesha, World of Nightmares
Presentations and emblems Hadesha-World-of-Nightmares
In the emblem the lines were a little straighter, but in heraldic terms (I quickly looked at wikipedia too), the cross is the same ... in theory this would be "foreshortened" (isolated cross, which does not touch the edges) while in the emblem the arms seem to touch the edges. In heraldry, whether you touch or not touch is relevant (that is, it is something that is specified in the blazon and is definitive; I chose this way, also because it seemed to me there was a line under one end that might seem to be detached and the curvature of the shield and the low resolution hides the detail. I refer to you.
For "professional" justice (but what profession? XD) it is a "arms a enquerre", but as chaotic demons ... It is justified.
This is the technical term for this kind of badges, that is, they contain violations. As anticipated, although it sounds French, the English heraldic language is based on it.
Blazon:

Isle of Lunarion
Presentations and emblems Isle-of-Lunarion
Identical to the emblem. It is an arms a enquerre, I wanted to keep the two "metals" in order not to distort it and respect the typical colors of the High Elves.
Blazon:

New Lysean Empire
Presentations and emblems New-Lysean-Empire
Identical to the original. Even if in theory there is "the blue interior" in the emblem, it seems to me to be irrelevant (it is as if it were a transparency at first sight). I'll check in my spare time, but it seems correct to me.
Blazon:

Orcs of Kor
Presentations and emblems Orcs-of-Kor
The rays will not be the same and identical graphics, but it is practically the emblem. I'm amazed that you respect the color rule.  Shocked
Blazon:

Raiders of the Pale Sea
Presentations and emblems Raiders-of-the-Pale-Sea
On armoria there was a scimitar model that was perfect to represent just this coat of arms. Simple.
Blazon:

Rider of Trarg
Presentations and emblems Riders-of-Trarg
Again simple; I was going to get the wrong horse given the resolution of the emblem (it seemed to me that it had both front legs raised), but luckily I noticed this before saving the job.
I wanted to "turn" the horse, since it was facing the heraldic left (to the right of the observer) and is blazoned "turned" and ... well, I couldn't keep it "from behind", if it is me granted xD I remember that it is not an error, but it is a "heraldic" shrewdness.
Blazon:

Thalassian Empire
Presentations and emblems Thalassian-Empire
Probably, if I did not tell you that it is the coat of arm made by me, you would think that I have uploaded the emblem xD
Blazon:

The White Council
Presentations and emblems The-White-Council
It is an "arms a enquerre" because of the gold border, but I wanted to respect the emblem, treating it with something sacred. I realized this on January 26th, when I asked those questions, in fact I was thinking both of this and of Drak-Dum. Aside from that, I zoomed in on the emblem so much to be accurate with the star / sun that I even noticed the gold filament around the cross ... which I emblazoned (and it's not a violation).
Blazon:
Back to top Go down
Amethystus
Squire
Squire
Amethystus

PostSubject: Re: Presentations and emblems   Presentations and emblems I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2022 3:08 pm

Joe the Bartender wrote:
Making adjustments and corrections should be fine, at least for the Knight, Empire and maybe some of the elven and dwarven races. Minotaurs, Orcs, Daemons and others won't adhere to this due to extreme cultural differences, so for those it's probably not worth addressing.

It was originally intended for Thalassia to have the camel one, but we decided against it since it didn't look right and since it didn't fit the lore well enough.

Some of the original images are from the Warlords card game. However, we don't have access to some of the original source art and some of them are drawn at an angle. I've uploaded the files here. If there's any other files you need, let me know and I'll see if I can find them. Smile

I was convinced that I had done it xD but I wanted to thank you for the material passed to me, which at the same time helped me and gave me ideas for my campaign in the pipeline; the illustrations on those cards gave me some inspiration. I asked my girlfriend to extrapolate (and straighten) Mortuus's skull and al-diraq's eagle, but she's got exams too so... she's waiting.
For the moment I don't need anything luckily, at least for the Coats of Arms, but...  Rolling Eyes  if I may ask, do you have the maps loaded in the wiki (Here) with the legible names of the places? It would be useful for the campaign.  study
Back to top Go down
Joe the Bartender
Keeper of Balance
Keeper of Balance
Joe the Bartender

PostSubject: Re: Presentations and emblems   Presentations and emblems I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 14, 2022 3:15 am

Very nice, I like them! The race and faction details are available here if you still need them. There's also the Story and Lore doc which I assume you already know about over here.

Amethystus wrote:
if I may ask, do you have the maps loaded in the wiki (Here) with the legible names of the places? It would be useful for the campaign.  study
I can do even better than that! bounce I've uploaded three versions of the newest, unreleased dev world map here (one with the locations, one with the areas and a blank one).

I was in the middle of updating the map with locations and areas from Puzzle Quest 3, but the paywall and the backwards direction of the game's patches put me off completing the details. I will get back to it one day, but I am a bit upset about the recent changes of the game, so I don't know when that will be. In the meantime, I have all the details noted all the way up to the Dragon's Maze chapter (you can see this in the Timeline as well in the Story and Lore doc). Anyway, I hope your D&D campaign goes well, I think it's a cool idea to base it in Etheria! Cool There's so much detail in the game series, particularly in Warlords 3, which never really surfaced in any of the future Warlords, Battlecry or Puzzle Quest games. That said, it does look like Steve Fawkner is working off the old Warlords 3 lore in Puzzle Quest 3 since he references so many of the original locations, which is a great thing. Just a bit of a shame that Puzzle Quest 3's taken a direction for the worse. Despite that, it's good that TPC features all of the original Warlords lore, and the lore from pretty much every game in the series, so that's something at least (it also has our unofficial lore to help fill in some holes too, made to be as accurate as possible and with as much respect to the canon as possible). study

Amethystus likes this post

Back to top Go down
Amethystus
Squire
Squire
Amethystus

PostSubject: Re: Presentations and emblems   Presentations and emblems I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 14, 2022 4:29 am

Joe the Bartender wrote:
Very nice, I like them! The race and faction details are available here if you still need them. There's also the Story and Lore doc which I assume you already know about over here.

Amethystus wrote:
if I may ask, do you have the maps loaded in the wiki (Here) with the legible names of the places? It would be useful for the campaign.  study
I can do even better than that! bounce I've uploaded three versions of the newest, unreleased dev world map here (one with the locations, one with the areas and a blank one).

I was in the middle of updating the map with locations and areas from Puzzle Quest 3, but the paywall and the backwards direction of the game's patches put me off completing the details. I will get back to it one day, but I am a bit upset about the recent changes of the game, so I don't know when that will be. In the meantime, I have all the details noted all the way up to the Dragon's Maze chapter (you can see this in the Timeline as well in the Story and Lore doc). Anyway, I hope your D&D campaign goes well, I think it's a cool idea to base it in Etheria! Cool There's so much detail in the game series, particularly in Warlords 3, which never really surfaced in any of the future Warlords, Battlecry or Puzzle Quest games. That said, it does look like Steve Fawkner is working off the old Warlords 3 lore in Puzzle Quest 3 since he references so many of the original locations, which is a great thing. Just a bit of a shame that Puzzle Quest 3's taken a direction for the worse. Despite that, it's good that TPC features all of the original Warlords lore, and the lore from pretty much every game in the series, so that's something at least (it also has our unofficial lore to help fill in some holes too, made to be as accurate as possible and with as much respect to the canon as possible). study

First of all, thank you very much, I admit that I was weeping with joy xD and know that the position of two places upset me so much (I thought that Lysea was in the coast overlooking the Sundered Isle ... WBC3 deceived me, same as Guardia and that New Salentia was a city). affraid
I knew the Story & Lore file, in fact I created all the chronology based on that text, with all the dates (and as "description It was" the text of Chronos on the wiki, which I treat as a fictional version in the game, or a version of local historiography (I study historiography).
The first link does not open to me (requires login), but if it is the race and faction description file contained in the directory I have it (although some descriptions are missing). All on the Kanka website.

Thanks again for all the soon, I hope to resume the work of the coats of arms as soon as possible.

P.S. Okay, sooner or later I'll put a certain "Joe the Bartender" in an inn.

Joe the Bartender likes this post

Back to top Go down
Joe the Bartender
Keeper of Balance
Keeper of Balance
Joe the Bartender

PostSubject: Re: Presentations and emblems   Presentations and emblems I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 17, 2022 10:05 am

Amethystus wrote:
First of all, thank you very much, I admit that I was weeping with joy xD and know that the position of two places upset me so much (I thought that Lysea was in the coast overlooking the Sundered Isle ... WBC3 deceived me, same as Guardia and that New Salentia was a city). affraid
I find it both strange and fascinating how things have been left out of the lore, or misinterpreted over the years. For instance, the small Selentine Mountain Range which was meant to be there, or the incorrect number of islands in the Bay of Storms etc. There are also areas of questionable authenticity like the volcanic areas in Kor or the second, snake-like river in the Sserin Jungle. Both feature on maps made by Michael Robertson, and as it would appear, despite being an official campaign in Warlords 3, the maps themselves are deemed unofficial unless Steve Fawkner gives them the thumbs up (like the Realms of War map or Zhur map which were made by Michael Robertson but became official).

The Thalassian campaign is also weird and fascinating to me. Despite shipping with Warlords 3: Darklords Rising and being based in Etheria, it isn't canon at all, even though it appears to be. That campaign was, like some others, made by SSG's journalist (those others were only released online). I thought at the time that it was canon, especially since it referenced the Wild Mountains (or mountains of the Wild Coast) and the Forest of Night (old prototype Twilight Forest?), so I added the details to the world map and designed the Thalassia faction for The Protectors. I only realised that Thalassia wasn't canon when I researched it on SSG's old website (I used the wayback machine and went back to the 90's Cool ). Actually that said, I can't be sure that the Forest of Night wasn't the inspiration for the Twilight Forest, so it might still at least be partially legitimate in some ways. We may never know. study

Amethystus wrote:
I knew the Story & Lore file, in fact I created all the chronology based on that text, with all the dates (and as "description It was" the text of Chronos on the wiki, which I treat as a fictional version in the game, or a version of local historiography (I study historiography).
Chronos' Unified History of Etheria also formed the basis for pre-recorded history in TPC too. Some of the history of the Dragonlords is heavily inspired by it and it has since been modified to fit the official lore better, at least for TPC's timeline. We also did the same with Oakman's History of the Diraqine Empire (it used to be on the old Infinite Interactive forums before they went down a couple years ago). I always love reading this stuff! lol!

Amethystus wrote:
The first link does not open to me (requires login), but if it is the race and faction description file contained in the directory I have it (although some descriptions are missing). All on the Kanka website.
It's the internal race & faction descriptions doc, which also includes some non-playable faction descriptions too. I've uploaded it here in case you're interested. Might fill in a few gaps here and there, though plenty of it hasn't been finished yet.  Smile

Amethystus wrote:
Thanks again for all the soon, I hope to resume the work of the coats of arms as soon as possible.

P.S. Okay, sooner or later I'll put a certain "Joe the Bartender" in an inn.
I look forward to it, and good luck with the campaign!

Amethystus likes this post

Back to top Go down
jalonsdale
Knight
Knight
jalonsdale

PostSubject: Emblem overhaul   Presentations and emblems I_icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2022 6:56 am

Those emblems look good. I wouldn't mind using them. Also I have a request for a new species and factions.

Base race: Shivans
Str: -1
Dex: -1
Int: +3
Cha: -1

Their factions would be...

Silver Fire Knights
Legion of the Library
Agents of the Ancients
Nocturnal Ninjas

I have some concept art but not sure how to import into protectors mod.
Back to top Go down
Amethystus
Squire
Squire
Amethystus

PostSubject: Re: Presentations and emblems   Presentations and emblems I_icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2022 12:00 am

jalonsdale wrote:
Those emblems look good. I wouldn't mind using them. Also I have a request for a new species and factions.

Base race: Shivans
Str: -1
Dex: -1
Int: +3
Cha: -1

Their factions would be...

Silver Fire Knights
Legion of the Library
Agents of the Ancients
Nocturnal Ninjas

I have some concept art but not sure how to import into protectors mod.

Are you asking me whether to make special badges? In case just point out the ideas and I'll see what I can do, at least from the point of view of heraldic rules.
As soon as I can, I think towards the end of June, I resume with the continuous work, so far I have been able to benefit from the functions of the app, but for the others we need a graphic intervention.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Presentations and emblems   Presentations and emblems I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Presentations and emblems
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Protectors Forum :: Off-topic-
Jump to: