The Protectors Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to discuss about The Protectors mod for Warlords Battlecry 3. Visit http://the-protectors.webs.com for more info.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

[FIXED] Question + Bug with Ironman

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
GeneralAtrox
Lord
Lord
GeneralAtrox

[FIXED] Question + Bug with Ironman Empty
PostSubject: [FIXED] Question + Bug with Ironman   [FIXED] Question + Bug with Ironman I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 13, 2015 4:34 am

Ironman mode is still not saving characters however everything else regarding difficulty mode is fine.

Superb update to the mod, really enjoying these new units and additions to the game, especially the original campaign will give me plenty to play through!

Will the Giants/Dragon race make an appearance in the next update?

Thanks for the great work!
Back to top Go down
Joe the Bartender
Keeper of Balance
Keeper of Balance
Joe the Bartender

PostSubject: Re: [FIXED] Question + Bug with Ironman   [FIXED] Question + Bug with Ironman I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 14, 2015 1:21 am

What version of windows are you using? When you created the Ironman hero, did you have any other heroes?

Have you tried running the game as admin? This comment on the Wiki , this one and the discussion at GOG has so far had the most info I've seen about the Ironman bug. They might be worth checking out to see if a solution can be made from any of them.

The only certainty I've heard of is that the Ironman hero is wiped when going back to the menu. You can actually play a skirmish match with the hero, but afterwards when it goes back to the main menu it just doesn't get read, as if it was deleted.

Interestingly, this bug also appears to be in Warlords Battlecry 2, which means either there's some very old faulty code still lingering around or that this is indeed a local issue (though what's causing it I've no idea).

As for the Dragonlord race, they likely won't be around for a while yet.
Back to top Go down
http://etheria.wikia.com/wiki/User_talk:Joe_the_Bartender
GeneralAtrox
Lord
Lord
GeneralAtrox

PostSubject: Re: [FIXED] Question + Bug with Ironman   [FIXED] Question + Bug with Ironman I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 14, 2015 1:50 am

Joe the Bartender wrote:
What version of windows are you using? When you created the Ironman hero, did you have any other heroes?

Have you tried running the game as admin?

Windows 8.1, Running as Admin, Compatibility mode XP Service Pack 3. These options are enabled by default with the installer which is good.

I tried deleting the files located in my Documents and starting fresh and having the same result.

I can confirm that the .hro data does remain even after the characters creation. I just thought I should post the bug I've found in the latest release.

I have tinkered around with this error for a while trying to get various things to work, using the hero editor to enable Ironman mode (even though its out-dated this editor works perfectly) but this doesn't seem to do anything but corrupt the save-game file. So Ironman Mode is for some unknown reason bugged out but Bronzeman and below works perfectly.

Thanks anyway!
Back to top Go down
Zetoo
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher
Zetoo

PostSubject: Re: [FIXED] Question + Bug with Ironman   [FIXED] Question + Bug with Ironman I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 21, 2015 5:44 am

GeneralAtrox wrote:
Ironman mode is still not saving characters however everything else regarding difficulty mode is fine.

We can finally reproduce this bug. Just tell us if there are other/more situations:
1. create an ironman hero (in campaign or skirmish)
2. simulate a skirmish (but don't start it)
  2.1 Travel in Campaign World map (but do not start a game) - looks like this sometimes saves your hero. I'm still looking into it
3. Return to main menu without playing the game and then you have no saved hero.
    3.1 if you start a game and resign, quit, lose without death hero or win, your hero will be saved
    3.2 if you start and for some reason there was a crash or your hero is killed, then he/she will not be saved
Back to top Go down
Patrick_the_Winekiller
Devourer of bugs
Devourer of bugs
Patrick_the_Winekiller

PostSubject: Re: [FIXED] Question + Bug with Ironman   [FIXED] Question + Bug with Ironman I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 23, 2015 6:50 am

The hero is saved only after winning or loosing a battle. It is best, when creating an ironman hero, to just quickly enter and resign a skirmish, just to be sure the info is written.
I'll see if I can fix this for version 0.8.6.
Back to top Go down
http://the-protectors.webs.com
Joe the Bartender
Keeper of Balance
Keeper of Balance
Joe the Bartender

PostSubject: Re: [FIXED] Question + Bug with Ironman   [FIXED] Question + Bug with Ironman I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 25, 2015 11:02 am

I think this is mostly caused via creating heroes in Multiplayer, though there have been rare reports of it happening in Singleplayer too...
Back to top Go down
Zetoo
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher
Zetoo

PostSubject: Re: [FIXED] Question + Bug with Ironman   [FIXED] Question + Bug with Ironman I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 25, 2015 9:15 pm

ok, this is the thing (also in the TO DO doc)

just click skirmish, create an ironman, click ok/accept/whatever, The skirmish list is there, and click back to menu. The hero will not be saved. It also works like that if you do it in multiplayer, as we know already. Same thing with campaign. click campaign, create an ironman, click ok, you are now in the world map, return to the main menu and voilà, no hero.

We were really looking in some other place! jocolor
Back to top Go down
Joe the Bartender
Keeper of Balance
Keeper of Balance
Joe the Bartender

PostSubject: Re: [FIXED] Question + Bug with Ironman   [FIXED] Question + Bug with Ironman I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2016 4:19 am

Haha yeah we were! So simple to do yet the bug has remained secret for ~11 years Shocked.

The multiplayer version of this bug also 'removes' the hero even if a match was played too.
Back to top Go down
Zetoo
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher
Zetoo

PostSubject: Re: [FIXED] Question + Bug with Ironman   [FIXED] Question + Bug with Ironman I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2016 3:36 pm

Joe the Bartender wrote:
So simple to do yet the bug has remained secret for ~11 years Shocked.

Wow, I was unaware this was a vanilla bug... Well, not for to long perhaps.
Back to top Go down
Patrick_the_Winekiller
Devourer of bugs
Devourer of bugs
Patrick_the_Winekiller

PostSubject: Re: [FIXED] Question + Bug with Ironman   [FIXED] Question + Bug with Ironman I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2016 3:43 am

I can finally say that this long-lived bug has finally been devoured! Fixed in 0.8.6. Topic closed.

Below is a summary for people interested:
The game (wbc3) has an antihacker method of saving the ironman heroes in the operating system's registry as well as the my documents folder. If the registry check fails, the hero is deleted from the mydocuments folder as well. This works fine on old computers, but modern systems have an access control of the registry, and the game simply cannot write the hero into the registry, thus it failed the registry check everytime it wanted to save the ironman hero. The Protectors "fixed" this by simply removing the registry check and everything that linked the ironman hero to the registry. There is no antihacker method now, simply because Infinite Interactive method was easy to bypass if really wanted anyway. If players desire to play Ironman mode, we trust they do it for the thrills and not just to level up their heroes faster. There are plenty of "cheaty" ways of leveling up your hero anyways.
Back to top Go down
http://the-protectors.webs.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: [FIXED] Question + Bug with Ironman   [FIXED] Question + Bug with Ironman I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

[FIXED] Question + Bug with Ironman
Page 1 of 1