The Protectors Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to discuss about The Protectors mod for Warlords Battlecry 3. Visit http://the-protectors.webs.com for more info.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

New, stronger towers - but requires a temple!

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Kharn

New, stronger towers - but requires a temple! Empty
PostSubject: New, stronger towers - but requires a temple!   New, stronger towers - but requires a temple! I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 26, 2014 5:34 am

While at work today, I thought of an idea to make temples a little more useful and make use of all them old tower models from past WBC games.

How about making it so each race has access to another 4 different types of towers to build from the walls/towers list? These towers would be more powerful than the standard BUT they require one of the main 4 temples before they can be built. Each of the 4 towers that can be built are dependent on what temple you have captured. This way the temple don't just offer a unit to produce, but also a building that can be built, too.

Here's what I've though up as to what towers can be built and what temple they require:

Inferno Temple: WBC2 Daemon Tower. This tower would have a fire attack.
Celestial Temple: WBC1 Magic Tower. They would have a magic attack.
Snake Temple: WBC1 Primitive Tower. They have their old rock throwing attack again.
Elemental Temple: WBC2 Undead Tower. They would have a frost attack. Or possibly the WBC2 Wood Elf tower and give it an electric attack.

Since there is so many towers available to us, you could even make it so the tower the temple offers changes from race to race based on their alignment.
For example:

Snake Temple:
Good races have the WBC1 Primitive Tower.
Neutral races have the WBC2 Minotaur Tower.
Evil races have the WBC2 Ork Tower.

Celestial Temple:
Good races have the WBC2 High Elf Tower.
Neutral races have the WBC1 Magic Tower
Evil races have the WBC2 Dark Elf Tower.

Inferno Temple:
Good races have the WBC2 Dark Dwarf Tower.
Neutral races have the WBC2 Undead Tower.
Evil races have the WBC2 Daemon Tower.

Elemental Temple:
Good races have the ???
Neutral races have the ???
Evil races have the ???
With the more interesting towers all used at this point, you could just have all races share the Wood Elf tower for this one.

Regardless of what you decide to do, could you send all the files for the 3 WBC1 towers to WBC3Stuff? I may end up doing this for myself. Smile
Back to top Go down
Kharn
Earth Moulder
Earth Moulder
Kharn

PostSubject: Re: New, stronger towers - but requires a temple!   New, stronger towers - but requires a temple! I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 28, 2014 8:51 am

In case you cam't tell - the person above is me.  afro 
Back to top Go down
Patrick_the_Winekiller
Devourer of bugs
Devourer of bugs
Patrick_the_Winekiller

PostSubject: Re: New, stronger towers - but requires a temple!   New, stronger towers - but requires a temple! I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 28, 2014 9:46 pm

Kharn, did I ever send these files? I don't remember. Still, the idea of making special buildings available from other buildings is interesting indeed.
Back to top Go down
http://the-protectors.webs.com
Kharn
Earth Moulder
Earth Moulder
Kharn

PostSubject: Re: New, stronger towers - but requires a temple!   New, stronger towers - but requires a temple! I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 16, 2015 7:56 am

Patrick_the_Winekiller wrote:
Kharn, did I ever send these files? I don't remember. Still, the idea of making special buildings available from other buildings is interesting indeed.

No you didn't. bounce
I've recently come back to WBC3 and one of the first things I wanted to do was finish off this little experiment of mine... but don't seem to have the WBC1 tower files.

Now, something I recall was that the loss of a captured temple does not affect the availability of the towers. I never got around to testing my theory as to why but I think a destroyed temple does not count as being destroyed due to the temples rebuilding themselves immediately upon destruction. I'll have to get back to you on this one but my test would be me making a map with a temple, convert it and get an enemy to knock it down (just in case self-harm isn't recorded). Immediately "finish" the map via a victory event and look at the statistics screen to see if I lost a building or not. Regardless of the result, redo the test but have an enemy convert the building instead of destroying it. (The easiest way to do that is to place it near but not too close to a mine, so they accidentally convert it.) This is to see if both methods are flawed for my idea or if it's just the immediate re-building that is interfering.
Back to top Go down
Patrick_the_Winekiller
Devourer of bugs
Devourer of bugs
Patrick_the_Winekiller

PostSubject: Re: New, stronger towers - but requires a temple!   New, stronger towers - but requires a temple! I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 17, 2015 12:22 am

All wbc1 unit and building graphics sent to wbc stuff.
Back to top Go down
http://the-protectors.webs.com
Kharn
Earth Moulder
Earth Moulder
Kharn

PostSubject: Re: New, stronger towers - but requires a temple!   New, stronger towers - but requires a temple! I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 17, 2015 8:47 am

I unintentionally got half of my test done while playing with my new strong towers.

It appears that destroying a temple does not count as loosing the building, at least for the purpose of requirements. But having it converted does correctly loose you the building entirely.

However, if you lost the temple through it being destroyed, then an enemy convert it while neutral, you still do not count as loosing the building. But I have yet to see what happens if you re-convert the building after it being destroyed and then have an enemy convert it back from you. Although I have a strong feeling that wont correct the situation and once you loose the temple through it being destroyed, then you'll count as permanently owing that temple.
Back to top Go down
Kharn
Earth Moulder
Earth Moulder
Kharn

PostSubject: Re: New, stronger towers - but requires a temple!   New, stronger towers - but requires a temple! I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2015 12:46 am

Oops, I edited my old post instead of submitting a new one. Arrow
My "new" post is now the one above this one.
Back to top Go down
Kharn
Earth Moulder
Earth Moulder
Kharn

PostSubject: Re: New, stronger towers - but requires a temple!   New, stronger towers - but requires a temple! I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 30, 2015 12:25 am

After implementing all the towers that I planned to include, I then encountered another problem - a more serious one. It appears that by default the AI wont build anything at all, if there are more than 15 buildings in their build menus.

Typically, with 9 buildings in the main list and 5 in the towers list, you can only successfully add a single new buildings without causing issues. Note that some races have only 8 buildings on their main list and thus can happily take 2 new buildings.

My only way to get around this is to remove the 2 smaller Walls and the rampart from the towers list, so I can successfully add all 4 temple towers to all races without a hitch. What a bummer!
Back to top Go down
Kharn
Earth Moulder
Earth Moulder
Kharn

PostSubject: Re: New, stronger towers - but requires a temple!   New, stronger towers - but requires a temple! I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 30, 2015 1:37 am

Scratch that - I've managed to trick the AI (once again) to accept all of these new towers and continue with their normal practice. However, I had to remove the Rampart from in order to do this.
Basically, putting an empty slot somewhere between 2 buildings on the towers list seems to bypass this limit. However, it does mean that you can only have 8 buildings in the towers list, as one is the blank space. As such, I've removed the Rampart from all races' towers menu BUT have added it to the Barbarians main buildings menu, so the building (wall) isn't completely gone.

Also, it appears that empty slots are completely ignored when arranging buildings in the build menus, and instead all buildings are placed one after the other. My first plan (which is what eventually found all this out) was to have the main tower and main wall on the first row and have all 4 strong towers on the second. But they all got pushed together.
Back to top Go down
wilberwind
Misspell
Misspell
wilberwind

PostSubject: Re: New, stronger towers - but requires a temple!   New, stronger towers - but requires a temple! I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 30, 2015 8:16 am

Kharn wrote:
Also, it appears that empty slots are completely ignored when arranging buildings in the build menus, and instead all buildings are placed one after the other. My first plan (which is what eventually found all this out) was to have the main tower and main wall on the first row and have all 4 strong towers on the second. But they all got pushed together.
That does not apply to units and researches - those can be arranged at the user's leisure.
Back to top Go down
http://www.condorphotography.ro
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New, stronger towers - but requires a temple!   New, stronger towers - but requires a temple! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New, stronger towers - but requires a temple!
Page 1 of 1