The Protectors Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to discuss about The Protectors mod for Warlords Battlecry 3. Visit http://the-protectors.webs.com for more info.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Question about Lore

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Amethystus
Squire
Squire
Amethystus

Question about Lore Empty
PostSubject: Question about Lore   Question about Lore I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 03, 2023 3:50 pm

Hi, after several second thoughts in recent months, thinking it was redundant, useless or "pressing", I decided to open a " directly here to ask questions relating to the lore from time to time. I tried twice to ask something but the kind my messages were dispersed As practically repeated several times to contextualize my messages,.
I collect the information to make Warlord a playable setting in a Role Playing Game and then I sift through everything, but then I find elements with few information, so I concentrate everything here. Now I directly copy my message on discord of the last questions, but I take the opportunity to add others.
I wonder if in a vague future these translations of mine might be of interest to make an Italian version of them...
One day I will find that original CD of my cousin or my copy in old boxes of that Italian version... I still gnaw my liver in the remember how "The Sundering" was translated xD.
---

From Discord:

I wanted to ask some questions related to deities, especially some that I haven't found much information about other than hints between files and the game itself.
I wanted to know more about Azarel, Lorbriss, Oros (if considering him a deity), Teyahuotli and Okradon.
Maybe you know more...

Another separate question: I haven't done the latest TPC update yet, but I just wondered if there are changes/updates in the descriptions in the "Story & Lore" and "Race and Faction Descriptions" files, to understand if I have to view them or not to extrapolate and translate the information into Italian.

Thanks in advance (I'll read in the afternoon).

---

I had another question of a technical nature: in which file can I find the textual descriptions of the items?

P.S.  I'll finish the crests in the future.

Joe the Bartender likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://kanka.io/it/campaign/103142
Joe the Bartender
Keeper of Balance
Keeper of Balance
Joe the Bartender

Question about Lore Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question about Lore   Question about Lore I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 17, 2023 4:42 am

Hi Amethystus!
Yeah, it's been a bit difficult for any devs to find the time to answer questions lately. I'll try to answer the best I can from what I know/understand of the Warlords universe.

Mentions of Azarel seem to only appear on a couple of maps in Warlords 2 and 3 (such as the Warlords 2 Selentia map, where the deity is named Azaral). In an official capacity, I'm not sure if Azarel is considered to be canon and may be a forgotten relic of Steve Fawkner's. On those maps, Azarel is described as a daemon god, lord of death and patron of all liches. Given that Bane already existed prior to Azarel and is considered to be a daemon god of the dead & undead, we've unofficially tweaked Azarel's basis so that he is an ascended liche and daemon god of immortality and to an extent, time - whilst still being the patron of all liches and maintaining close ties to the dead.

Lorbriss is possibly the least-detailed deity in all of Warlords. In all honesty, in all my years of researching the Warlords universe, I've still found next to nothing about Lorbriss. The only thing I can say for certain is that the deity might exist. I thought I remembered there being a Warlords TCG card featuring that name but I can't even find that. The only document I've found which says anything about Lorbriss is the Pantheon of Etheria, which is known to have discrepancies. In that, Lobriss is referred to as the god of assassins, which I assume would include anything related to the art such as poisons, concealment and secrecy. I'd imagine that if Lorbriss was such a deity, then he'd be worshipped by dark elves, swarm worshippers, (conscious, greater) undead, dark dwarves, some Sartek beastmen (especially gnolls) and unscrupulous, underground imperial sects or cults (maybe also some daemons and other criminal folk who intend to murder). I'm sorry I can't give a better answer for this one as I don't know exactly who Lorbriss is myself due to the extreme lack of information about him, so can't provide anything but assumptions.

Oros almost falls into the same category as Lorbriss. From what I understand, there are references and mentions of Oros in Warlords 3 and Warlords Battlecry. On the Dragon's Maze map in Warlords 3, there's a huge boulder called The Eye of Oros, which has a carving of an eye near its top, located on one of the archipelago's many islands. Given how little it is referenced and how it merely appears as an addition to Antharg's plaguelord side, I think it's reasonably safe to assume that Oros is either a minor daemonic deity or a particularly powerful daemon. Like Lorbriss, nothing is attributed to them explicitly, but in all references, Oros has a strong theme revolving around eyes. Unofficially, we've translated this to mean that Oros is a lesser deity of knowledge & forbidden knowledge, secrets and observation/sight (with visuals maybe like a sphere with eyes, kind of like a beholder?).

Teyahuotli is an unofficial minor deity largely worshipped by the ssrathi, especially the ssrathi of Tongu. The deity is based around pure water and remedies, and her temples tend to resemble something akin to the hanging gardens. They feature flowing, perfectly clear water through elaborately decorated channels or aqueducts, all cascading from a singular source such as high up on a plinth, over the temple roof itself or from an altar. Any water entering these channels is instantly purified and recirculates through the artificial spring. It is said that these holy waters have a restorative effect, allowing it to cure, heal and calm.

Okradon is a minor deity of wealth. In the only game where Okradon gets a proper definition (Warlords 2 - the Isladia Campaign map), he is referred to as the Mercanian god of wealth. This particular map is an old prototype version of the Wild Coast, featuring references which appear in modern Warlords canon as well as potentially-deprecated ones. The Mercanians were a faction of humans on this map, likely closely tied to the Empire race in Battlecry 3, and this faction probably doesn't exist anymore in current canon given the updates made to the franchise's lore over time (it's possible that they were the basis for the Diraqine Empire). I don't know anything else about Okradon, such as his temples or who else he is worshipped by. I imagine Okradon is a substantial deity in certain regions/nations like Diraq, Selentia, Gildor, Goldor and around the Verkanian Way, and a minor deity in most civilized places like the various Agarian knightly orders, dwarven citadels and some elven regions or even ssrathi ones too. Unofficially, Okradon also covers luck and to an extent, joy as well.

To answer your question about the race/faction descriptions, there will likely be small changes or updates to the lore in the next patch. I think most of the updates will certainly be spelling or grammar fixes.

About items, the descriptions can be found in The Protectors dev\English\Items.xcr. Inside, there should be an Items.xml file which has all the various item definitions. To open the xcr, you'll need to use an xcr editor (I'd recommend either Unit Editor 1.05b or XCR Explorer over here)

Good luck with your Warlords tabletop RPG! I hope these answers help you with your project. I'm interested in how it turns out and would be very excited to see it! If you have any further questions, feel free to ask! Smile

Amethystus likes this post

Back to top Go down
http://etheria.wikia.com/wiki/User_talk:Joe_the_Bartender

Question about Lore
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Protectors Forum :: Off-topic-
Jump to: