The Protectors Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to discuss about The Protectors mod for Warlords Battlecry 3. Visit http://the-protectors.webs.com for more info.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The Protectors Original Soundtrack (TPC OST)

Go down 
+5
Kharn
Deceptor-x-Hillux
Hei
Patrick_the_Winekiller
zeto
9 posters

What kind/type of songs do you want to listen in future releases?
Arab pack
The Protectors Original Soundtrack (TPC OST) I_vote_lcap5%The Protectors Original Soundtrack (TPC OST) I_vote_rcap
 5% [ 2 ]
Celtic and Medieval pack
The Protectors Original Soundtrack (TPC OST) I_vote_lcap19%The Protectors Original Soundtrack (TPC OST) I_vote_rcap
 19% [ 8 ]
Epic pack
The Protectors Original Soundtrack (TPC OST) I_vote_lcap17%The Protectors Original Soundtrack (TPC OST) I_vote_rcap
 17% [ 7 ]
Jungle pack
The Protectors Original Soundtrack (TPC OST) I_vote_lcap5%The Protectors Original Soundtrack (TPC OST) I_vote_rcap
 5% [ 2 ]
Darkness pack
The Protectors Original Soundtrack (TPC OST) I_vote_lcap19%The Protectors Original Soundtrack (TPC OST) I_vote_rcap
 19% [ 8 ]
Light pack
 5% [ 2 ]
Ballad pack
The Protectors Original Soundtrack (TPC OST) I_vote_lcap10%The Protectors Original Soundtrack (TPC OST) I_vote_rcap
 10% [ 4 ]
The Protectors Theme pack
The Protectors Original Soundtrack (TPC OST) I_vote_lcap20%The Protectors Original Soundtrack (TPC OST) I_vote_rcap
 20% [ 9 ]
None
The Protectors Original Soundtrack (TPC OST) I_vote_lcap0%The Protectors Original Soundtrack (TPC OST) I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
All
The Protectors Original Soundtrack (TPC OST) I_vote_lcap0%The Protectors Original Soundtrack (TPC OST) I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 42

Poll closed

AuthorMessage
zeto
Prince
Prince
zeto

The Protectors Original Soundtrack (TPC OST) Empty
PostSubject: The Protectors Original Soundtrack (TPC OST)   The Protectors Original Soundtrack (TPC OST) I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 09, 2014 12:08 am

Here is a proposal for an Original Soundtrack (first of 3 series - next one: December 2014).

Please, vote! Any suggestions will be helpful, such as: New ambient, new modular songs (I'll send next time the "hero dies", "Titan is released", "Victory/defeat", etc. ), new type/kind of songs.

Thank you all (and especially to Patrick, of course),

Songs available for listening here:

https://soundcloud.com/andr-naya/sets/the-protectors-original-soundtrack-september-2014
Back to top Go down
https://soundcloud.com/andr-naya/sets/the-protectors-original-so
Patrick_the_Winekiller
Devourer of bugs
Devourer of bugs
Patrick_the_Winekiller

PostSubject: Re: The Protectors Original Soundtrack (TPC OST)   The Protectors Original Soundtrack (TPC OST) I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 09, 2014 3:12 am

My favorites:

Back to top Go down
http://the-protectors.webs.com
zeto
Prince
Prince
zeto

PostSubject: Re: The Protectors Original Soundtrack (TPC OST)   The Protectors Original Soundtrack (TPC OST) I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 09, 2014 4:22 am

No arabic/desert songs? Hmmm… I need to make a revision in my compositions then... I was preparing to make a lot more of that type… Perhaps those electric basses and electric guitars are too present?
Back to top Go down
Patrick_the_Winekiller
Devourer of bugs
Devourer of bugs
Patrick_the_Winekiller

PostSubject: Re: The Protectors Original Soundtrack (TPC OST)   The Protectors Original Soundtrack (TPC OST) I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 09, 2014 7:56 am

zeto wrote:
Perhaps those electric basses and electric guitars are too present?

That and I think they are too long (or repetitive, or maybe both?), especially the first arabic one (AmbientArab).
Back to top Go down
zeto
Prince
Prince
zeto

PostSubject: Re: The Protectors Original Soundtrack (TPC OST)   The Protectors Original Soundtrack (TPC OST) I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 09, 2014 3:14 pm

All right then, I’m embracing that issue! But I still believe that the best way to listen to these tracks is this:
1-Open full soundtrack and regulate with the volume fader https://soundcloud.com/andr-naya/sets/the-protectors-original-soundtrack-september-2014
2- Play TPC for 50min
3-Return to TPC Forum, comment and vote.
Back to top Go down
Hei
Knight
Knight
Hei

PostSubject: Re: The Protectors Original Soundtrack (TPC OST)   The Protectors Original Soundtrack (TPC OST) I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2014 9:33 am

awesome, i really liked the medieval one
looking forward 4 more of your work
Back to top Go down
zeto
Prince
Prince
zeto

PostSubject: Re: The Protectors Original Soundtrack (TPC OST)   The Protectors Original Soundtrack (TPC OST) I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2014 2:56 pm

Hei wrote:
awesome, i really liked the medieval one
looking forward 4 more of your work

Thanks a lot for your kind words! December... You'll need to wait until then.

(Legal esse post irmão. Obrigado à Comunidade Brasileira e Portuguesa do TPC)
Back to top Go down
Deceptor-x-Hillux
Squire
Squire
Deceptor-x-Hillux

PostSubject: Re: The Protectors Original Soundtrack (TPC OST)   The Protectors Original Soundtrack (TPC OST) I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2014 7:49 pm

Woah! Those are great songs sir! Keep up the good work!

(Abraços da comunidade Brasileira de TPC!)
Back to top Go down
zeto
Prince
Prince
zeto

PostSubject: Re: The Protectors Original Soundtrack (TPC OST)   The Protectors Original Soundtrack (TPC OST) I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2014 7:55 pm

I'm expecting that you'll keep voting in next releases!
Back to top Go down
Kharn
Earth Moulder
Earth Moulder
Kharn

PostSubject: Re: The Protectors Original Soundtrack (TPC OST)   The Protectors Original Soundtrack (TPC OST) I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2014 3:33 am

These sound very professional! bounce

Now, I haven't listened to all of them yet (so far only the ones that Patrick posted) but when it comes to music for WBC, I prefer anything that sound similar to the original music tracks, which were actually composed by Steve Fawkner himself! I really couldn't get into the music tracks from WBC2 at all, but while I did like the ones in WBC3, I still preferred the originals.

So perhaps Medieval gets my vote then?
Back to top Go down
zeto
Prince
Prince
zeto

PostSubject: Re: The Protectors Original Soundtrack (TPC OST)   The Protectors Original Soundtrack (TPC OST) I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2014 3:50 am

Thanks (but I’ve got a lot of soup to eat… in terms of professionalism). I do not intend to substitute WBC1 (and forward) compositions. I really didn´t discuss this with Patrick at all, but in my opinion, I think the original Soundtrack of WBC series (WBC, Warlords, Puzzle…) should remain until Final TPC (1.0 and so forth).

To answer your doubt (this is just the way I see it): WBC1--> Magic (The Protectors Pack+Medieval); WBC2-->Arabic; WBC3-->Jungle+Epic.

You have the option of multivotes… If that helps...

(SELFCRITICISM)  Hmm, I just realized that the multi vote thing can bring a silly issue: voting “none”+”all”…. Next time it must be reworked…
Back to top Go down
Patrick_the_Winekiller
Devourer of bugs
Devourer of bugs
Patrick_the_Winekiller

PostSubject: Re: The Protectors Original Soundtrack (TPC OST)   The Protectors Original Soundtrack (TPC OST) I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2014 5:58 am

zeto wrote:
(SELFCRITICISM)  Hmm, I just realized that the multi vote thing can bring a silly issue: voting “none”+”all”…. Next time it must be reworked…
I was going to point that out - seeing that you can vote for all the tracks it is useless to vote "all" and if one does not wish to vote, he/she simply won't, so the "none" option is useless as well - but I just said that you deserve a break of criticism and left the whole thing aside ^^.
Back to top Go down
Alice Mizuki
Lord
Lord
Alice Mizuki

PostSubject: Re: The Protectors Original Soundtrack (TPC OST)   The Protectors Original Soundtrack (TPC OST) I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2014 9:11 pm

Oh, come on zeto, you're so modest! Your songs are wonderful!

The Brazilian and Japanese community wishes you all the best in your compositions! (≧◡≦)
Back to top Go down
zeto
Prince
Prince
zeto

PostSubject: Re: The Protectors Original Soundtrack (TPC OST)   The Protectors Original Soundtrack (TPC OST) I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 12, 2014 4:13 am

Thanks Alice... You always have the right words!
However, progress can be done everyday...
Back to top Go down
のわ亡霊
Squire
Squire
のわ亡霊

PostSubject: Re: The Protectors Original Soundtrack (TPC OST)   The Protectors Original Soundtrack (TPC OST) I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2014 4:02 pm

very nice!Surprised
Back to top Go down
zeto
Prince
Prince
zeto

PostSubject: Re: The Protectors Original Soundtrack (TPC OST)   The Protectors Original Soundtrack (TPC OST) I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2014 5:02 am

のわ亡霊 wrote:
very nice!Surprised

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
永遠 真紀子
Squire
Squire
永遠 真紀子

PostSubject: Re: The Protectors Original Soundtrack (TPC OST)   The Protectors Original Soundtrack (TPC OST) I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 20, 2014 12:58 am

━━━━(゚∀゚)━━━━━ !!! 素晴らしい!
Back to top Go down
Alice Mizuki
Lord
Lord
Alice Mizuki

PostSubject: Re: The Protectors Original Soundtrack (TPC OST)   The Protectors Original Soundtrack (TPC OST) I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 20, 2014 12:59 am

永遠 真紀子 wrote:

Welcome to The Protector's Forum, Makiko-chan! Your surname is Eien? Sorry, i'm not good with kanjis... (⌒_⌒;) anyway, try to speak in english here, ok? This way everybody will understand what you say ^^

btw, ty for the feedback!
Back to top Go down
永遠 真紀子
Squire
Squire
永遠 真紀子

PostSubject: Re: The Protectors Original Soundtrack (TPC OST)   The Protectors Original Soundtrack (TPC OST) I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 20, 2014 1:09 am

Alice Mizuki wrote:
永遠 真紀子 wrote:

Welcome to The Protector's Forum, Makiko-chan! Your surname is Eien? Sorry, i'm not good with kanjis... (⌒_⌒Wink anyway, try to speak in english here, ok? This way everybody will understand what you say ^^

btw, ty for the feedback!

Hello Alice, you are right, my name is Eien Makiko! Very Happy
Sorry, i am just saying that i have found this ost awesome!

Sorry for the bad english, i am using Google Translate. @;@
Back to top Go down
Turtle
Knight
Knight
Turtle

PostSubject: Re: The Protectors Original Soundtrack (TPC OST)   The Protectors Original Soundtrack (TPC OST) I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 20, 2014 2:35 pm

If I may offer what I intend as constructive criticism:

Don't repeat the same exact melody over and over throughout the pieces. I listened to some of these (Arab6, Celtic2, Medievel2/4, Ballad7, Protectors7), and there's just too much repetition in all of them. It was enough to prevent me from even making it all the way through some of them. If you are reusing a melody throughout a piece, try making modifications and additions to it every time it repeats -- these should be significant enough that the fact that there's a real difference is quite noticeable even on first listening. (The listener should never feel like they are just listening to the same thing repeatedly.) Just changing instruments doesn't cut it. The pieces could also use slightly more musically interesting base melodic content, though for background music I don't think this is as big of a problem as the repetition.

Just to make sure I wasn't being unreasonably critical of "game background music", I listened to Ambient1.mp3 from WBC3. It does as I suggest: Even though it has one primary (slow moving) theme repeated a number of times, it varies it quite a bit. It also takes a break from the primary theme in the middle with a new melody in the bassoon, then adds flute (with new material, interleaving with the bassoon at first), then brings back the main theme but keeps the flute and bassoon around, layering a (faster moving) counter melody on top of the main theme. The only mostly unaltered/non-augmented (besides instrumentation) repetition of the main theme is a short restatement at the very end just to wrap it up. The difference between monotonous repetition and Ambient1.mp3 is night and day.

BTW, among other things I'm doing the same thing - creating music for a game. My music has its own issues that I'm still in the process of trying to learn how to fix (with something better than trial and error!). I've got my eye on a 1/2 dozen books I'm going to order and cross my fingers and hope they help. I've listed them below just in case you'd like to check them out (the reviews on Amazon provide a good amount of info about what's in them):
"The Craft of Musical Composition: Theoretical Part - Book 1" by Paul Hindemith
"The Craft of Musical Composition: Book 2" by Paul Hindemith
"Guide to the Practical Study of Harmony" by Peter Ilyitch Tchaikovsky
"Composing Music: A New Approach" by William Russo
"Study of Counterpoint: From Johann Joseph Fux's Gradus Ad Parnassum" by Johann Joseph Fux
"Fundamentals of Musical Composition" by Arnold Schoenberg
Back to top Go down
zeto
Prince
Prince
zeto

PostSubject: Re: The Protectors Original Soundtrack (TPC OST)   The Protectors Original Soundtrack (TPC OST) I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 20, 2014 7:06 pm

Hello Turtle,
And thank you very much for this critic. Now, here it goes:

1 – I understand what you’re saying: As head of some Progressive Rock Projects, the first thing I suggested was a Progressive Rock OST… Then, a few discussions further and I went on experimenting on ambient. So, this long way to get closer and closer to people’s opinions… In-game ambient demands some kind of circular composition, there is no other way around it: that is why those songs, listen by itself (alone), sound very boring, repetitive etc. – But I am already working on to improve the current songs – more instruments with different phrases - and for December I already have another 50min with more songs, shorter and with definitely not monotonous material).

2 – I am a Drum/Bass/Guitar player (+ composition with VSTs). So, all you listen here is pure MIDI handwriting (except basses and guitars in Arab1-6), and as I’m sure you’re aware, writing MIDI is not the best option to get full dynamics. As it takes a lot of time to write, if I was using/playing a Keyboard, like a guitar, all songs should be more dynamic = less boring = less repetitive. But that can be corrected: just need to compose more phrases to different instruments (working with dominants, contraponto, and Modal swifts should be enough – What do you say?). The problem is that we want to get closer to acoustic and Medieval (Dark Ages) instruments (Schofar, flutes, harps). For me is really hard to work with few instruments (that is why this OST is using some XVIII century orchestra).

3 – This space is dedicated to these particular thoughts, and all tracks are experimental and may not see the dawn of the day. That is why I am concerning with ranging ambient + Mixing, rather to get deep into composition (that will be the second step, and as I said before, It is on the road). It seems that December will be dedicated to Darkness, Celtic, Medieval and The Protectors packs.

4 – “I listened to Ambient1.mp3 from WBC3.” Yes, you get it: It is circular composition indeed, with more arrangements here and there to make it sound less repetitive. After a lot of experimenting I did what I didn’t want to: getting closer to WBC3 OST… I thought that Epic5 would be closer to what you are hoping to see: but even there are problems… This is still in Beta anyway, so go ahead: I need those critics.

5 – All those books may help, but I need to say two things: a) I am more like a Vivaldi or Guthrie Govan type of guy: First hear the nature, reproduce the sounds of nature, and only then you give names to it (G9, Bm7…). I am no friend of musical theory at all, instead, I try to get closer to Greek Modes ambient (You know, I want some natural compositions, and folk also, and that may be the reason of the boringness of it all). All you are hearing now in TPC OST is the backbone of the songs (you know, thinking of layers just like a Bass player): there is plenty of space to create melodic/harmony writing. That is, in my opinion, what is lacking now. b)We do not want to get into classical composition because I am working with MIDI (dynamics!), and because “classical stays ahead of WBC universe” (If you understand what I say: I see WBC/TPC as a Post-Modern ambient, but never mind, I am a democrat after all). Even here there is an observation: Already started a Fauré’s Pavane Op. 50 type of thing mixed with other kind of melodic transformation (a Progressive Rock thing, as you understand: Starting Ionian, travelling to minor chords - passing through Portuguese/Argentinian popular ambient- to get into Phrygian Mode, and then pentatonic, to close with Locrian). Let us see what people say of that.

Finally (sorry for this long text), if you (or anyone) want to discuss some technical issues in detail (concerning your or my work), then send me a Private Message. Thank you again, you’re my best critic… so far!
Back to top Go down
Patrick_the_Winekiller
Devourer of bugs
Devourer of bugs
Patrick_the_Winekiller

PostSubject: Re: The Protectors Original Soundtrack (TPC OST)   The Protectors Original Soundtrack (TPC OST) I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 15, 2014 7:12 pm

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Protectors Original Soundtrack (TPC OST)   The Protectors Original Soundtrack (TPC OST) I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Protectors Original Soundtrack (TPC OST)
Page 1 of 1