The Protectors Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to discuss about The Protectors mod for Warlords Battlecry 3. Visit http://the-protectors.webs.com for more info.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Spellcasters & Magic

Go down 
+3
Kharn
Patrick_the_Winekiller
cordeirooo
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Zetoo
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher
Zetoo

Spellcasters & Magic - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spellcasters & Magic   Spellcasters & Magic - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2015 4:56 pm

Another issue/bug: Morph health drops Hp at low levels on huge units, like titans. This bug only makes sense if you gave experience to some titans on the Editor: Example: After giving level 8 to a titan, he has now 1500 hp, then cast Morph Health level 1 on it and his/her maximum Hp will be 999.
Back to top Go down
Joe the Bartender
Keeper of Balance
Keeper of Balance
Joe the Bartender

PostSubject: Re: Spellcasters & Magic   Spellcasters & Magic - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2015 9:27 am

DeNarr wrote:
Another idea would be a spell that specifically deals a lot of damage to buildings, but not to units. Rune magic seems to have a decent focus on buildings after all.

I like this idea too, though it could provide some problems at the start of some games where starting towers and base constructions could get blown up.
Back to top Go down
http://etheria.wikia.com/wiki/User_talk:Joe_the_Bartender
Kharn
Earth Moulder
Earth Moulder
Kharn

PostSubject: Re: Spellcasters & Magic   Spellcasters & Magic - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2015 5:52 am

What comes to my mind about this is will the spell become obsolete when the Hero learns Doom Stones? That spell not only deals respectable damage to buildings, but also infantry. To make this "Damage Building" spell worth while, you will either need to make it more powerful / cheaper to cast than Doom Stones or have some kind of extra effect. The former would need incredible care to ensure it wont become unbalanced.

That and I think the concept of just "damage building" is rather boring. :p
But If we still go down this route, how about making it so it can knock out garrisoned units as an extra effect if it hits a tower, or make a struck mine looses some resources (or even kill off some of the miners). Maybe even have it temporarily disable building repairs? It could initiate the building repair function but with the building's current HP (after the attack) being considered its max HP, so it wouldn't repair anything but otherwise prevents repair. Again, all these would be side-effects to any damage, unless you think these effects are enough to not warrant any damage infliction.
Back to top Go down
DeNarr
Lord
Lord
DeNarr

PostSubject: Re: Spellcasters & Magic   Spellcasters & Magic - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2015 9:42 am

Kharn wrote:
What comes to my mind about this is will the spell become obsolete when the Hero learns Doom Stones? That spell not only deals respectable damage to buildings, but also infantry. To make this "Damage Building" spell worth while, you will either need to make it more powerful / cheaper to cast than Doom Stones or have some kind of extra effect. The former would need incredible care to ensure it wont become unbalanced.

That and I think the concept of just "damage building" is rather boring. :p
But If we still go down this route, how about making it so it can knock out garrisoned units as an extra effect if it hits a tower, or make a struck mine looses some resources (or even kill off some of the miners). Maybe even have it temporarily disable building repairs? It could initiate the building repair function but with the building's current HP (after the attack) being considered its max HP, so it wouldn't repair anything but otherwise prevents repair. Again, all these would be side-effects to any damage, unless you think these effects are enough to not warrant any damage infliction.

Well, my thoughts were that it would be better than Doom Stones when it came to buildings. Similar to how fire goes from Flame Hand to Armageddon. I was imagining this being a later spell, and being something like Earthquake, with massive damage to buildings, but only minor damage to units. (While your special effects would still fit thematically with this, that would also be much harder to code.)
Back to top Go down
Patrick_the_Winekiller
Devourer of bugs
Devourer of bugs
Patrick_the_Winekiller

PostSubject: Re: Spellcasters & Magic   Spellcasters & Magic - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2015 6:45 pm

The coding shouldn't be too problematic actually.
Back to top Go down
http://the-protectors.webs.com
Joe the Bartender
Keeper of Balance
Keeper of Balance
Joe the Bartender

PostSubject: Re: Spellcasters & Magic   Spellcasters & Magic - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2015 5:59 am

Perhaps it should be a healing spell for inanimate units such as Siege Weapons and Golems?
Back to top Go down
Patrick_the_Winekiller
Devourer of bugs
Devourer of bugs
Patrick_the_Winekiller

PostSubject: Re: Spellcasters & Magic   Spellcasters & Magic - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2015 6:07 am

I like that idea. But afaik, golems are not considered mechanical? (i.e. they are healed by ordinary healing spells)
Back to top Go down
DeNarr
Lord
Lord
DeNarr

PostSubject: Re: Spellcasters & Magic   Spellcasters & Magic - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 31, 2015 5:56 am

A heal for only mechanical units seems a little lame. Maybe a heal + speed buff, since they tend to be so slow.
Back to top Go down
Kharn
Earth Moulder
Earth Moulder
Kharn

PostSubject: Re: Spellcasters & Magic   Spellcasters & Magic - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 31, 2015 8:15 am

What about turning normal units into mechanical units!!!! Well, into golems. I imagine the visual effects would be the same as "Stone skin", so the units become shades of grey. Affected units move slower but have increased defenses and become immune to psyche. Amusingly, you could even have them play the "petrification" effects for when they get killed during that state (rubble falling to the ground).
Back to top Go down
Joe the Bartender
Keeper of Balance
Keeper of Balance
Joe the Bartender

PostSubject: Re: Spellcasters & Magic   Spellcasters & Magic - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 31, 2015 10:12 am

Perhaps a mechanical heal spell is more deserved in the Alchemy spell sphere than the Runes one.

I can't see it being lame though, especially since mechanical units are rather good in 0.8.5.
Back to top Go down
Darkgenius
Squire
Squire
Darkgenius

PostSubject: Re: Spellcasters & Magic   Spellcasters & Magic - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2016 3:47 am

Guise, I have been playing this mod/game a lot, and being a a long time fan of Warlords Battlecry, I must say, you guys nailed it!!

The new level up system opens up so many new features, but I gotta ask the developers: I get quests like... "Summon Mana Spell" but wad da heck does it mean? I know the passphrase is "SUN", sshratisses dinossaurs has a hard for sunlight, so yeah.. easy. Though, what does it do? will it replenish my mana? or teach me a new spell? I got nothing.

Which brings me to my next question; Are you guise planning on add a new system where you can learn new spheres? I mean.. the classes seem hard-coded, but if we could learn new magic spheres.. damn, it would be a dream come true to me, I remember spending hours in Battlecry 3 trying to find the best combo, I was never one who appreciated melee classes very much, though my Lichelord used to kick ass on melee with a few item and buffs.

That written, I belive the Time Sphere does not really fit the ARCHMAGE, its my FAVORITE class :'/

To remove divination from it saddens me greatly, I loved making a mix of Mages and Golems with both the Empire or the Knights, Mages + Inquisitors = Win

I know divination sphere has spells like "Banish", that summoning sphere had, but couldn't it not be removed? I don't really follow the appeal of the Time Sphere, to summarize.. I don't really like it much, I havent got the chance to play with it too much to acquire the "feeling: oh it does this and that" yet, and I liked Divination and Alchemy combo so much.. Yeah.. I know I can play as the Empire and plop the Mages Guild and train divination to a point where I get some useful spells, but by the time I can Call mages, I can already recruit them from lvl 5 Palace.. So, please.. can you devs reconsider? you could remove "Banish" and add Mana Drain or Vampirism, it would fit well in there.

I kinda miss the racial magic spheres. But I get it why it was removed, but for some spellcaster races, such as the Demons, removing pyromancy was kinda crippling, but then again.. you can learn the spells by building a certain building, assuming you don't get wiped by the enemy at that level.

Btw, did I just necro this thread? Razz
Back to top Go down
Kharn
Earth Moulder
Earth Moulder
Kharn

PostSubject: Re: Spellcasters & Magic   Spellcasters & Magic - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2016 7:47 am

Darkgenius wrote:
but I gotta ask the developers: I get quests like... "Summon Mana Spell" but wad da heck does it mean? I know the passphrase is "SUN", sshratisses dinossaurs has a hard for sunlight, so yeah.. easy. Though, what does it do? will it replenish my mana? or teach me a new spell? I got nothing.

The exact text is:

Quest wrote:
This Mausoleum is guarded by a Naga who says she'll teach you Summoning Mana I if you answer her riddle:

Summoning Mana I is the name of the research she teaches you (seen by many races). The dialog assumes you already know of it and its effects, but I suppose it could instead specify the effects for when new players or those who are unfamiliar with the game encounter it.
Back to top Go down
Darkgenius
Squire
Squire
Darkgenius

PostSubject: Re: Spellcasters & Magic   Spellcasters & Magic - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2016 10:10 am

Correct.

I have never seen that quest before, is it new? I don't tend to do much quests, never did, I usually focus more on base-building and attacking the enemy.

Good to know it insta completes for research.
Back to top Go down
Patrick_the_Winekiller
Devourer of bugs
Devourer of bugs
Patrick_the_Winekiller

PostSubject: Re: Spellcasters & Magic   Spellcasters & Magic - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2016 6:02 pm

Completing quests is now actually more worth-while than in the original game, and dedicating some time for it is never a bad idea.
Back to top Go down
Darkgenius
Squire
Squire
Darkgenius

PostSubject: Re: Spellcasters & Magic   Spellcasters & Magic - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 20, 2016 12:32 pm

Right guys, I'll follow your suggestions, also for mine, have y'all thought about it? I need divination so bad back in the archmage :/ perhaps a new class can be made? Mage-King, a mix between Sage and Archmage, with divination, alchemy, summoning, ilusion also that mageking spellcasters units buff and perhaps a random magic sphere? to give it a interesting path, you could get poison, or necromancy, or nature. Is it possible for random abilities to be assigned to classes?

Or, perhaps if possible, a Mages Guild University in Enmouth that teaches new spheres? or and a Dark Library (teaching new magic spheres) in Bane's realm?

Thanks for the attention, and please.. forgive my mistakes, this english you're reading is self-taught.
Back to top Go down
Patrick_the_Winekiller
Devourer of bugs
Devourer of bugs
Patrick_the_Winekiller

PostSubject: Re: Spellcasters & Magic   Spellcasters & Magic - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2016 4:45 am

Having random skills is a no-go. It can become quite annoying if you wish a specific skill, you'll keep recreating a new hero until you get what you wanted.

New spell spheres keep appearing in TPC ( Rolling Eyes ) and the Archmage class is simply overwhelmed by their number. We will probably need to split this class in two magic only classes.

We will definitely have schools of magic in the campaign, where your hero can learn new spells permanently.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Spellcasters & Magic   Spellcasters & Magic - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Spellcasters & Magic
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2